Box of Crayons
Classes started a month and a half ago, but in my mind, the school year doesn't really start until the puck gets dropped in the first hockey game of the season.
I could never sleep the night before the first day of school. There was just too much anxious anticipation for me to rest. There was one thing I always enjoyed about the start of the school year when I was younger though. Before the start of each school year, I'd always get a brand new box of crayons for the school year. And as I look over the roster of this year's team, that's what I see. A brand new 27-pack of crayons.
Every box of crayons always had the old stand-bys like the red crayon and the blue. They were the ones that had been their in the past for you. You could always count on them, and you knew you'd have count on them a lot over the year. There was the white crayon, which you knew you'd probably never use, but just in case the need arose, it was nice to know it was ready and waiting in the wings. And every year in the giant box of crayons, there were always a couple new colors. There seem to be a lot of new colors this year. And it was always exciting to get them out of the box and see what they had to contribute.
They always looked so pretty on that first day. Of course, it was only a matter of time before they became worn down by the grind of the school year. They became chipped, the paper wrappers peeled off, some were even broken. But in the end, you had always had something great to look back on.
And that's where we are. Nervously waiting with a fresh box of crayons and 36 clean sheets in front of us with a dream that at the end, we'll have a masterpiece.
I could never sleep the night before the first day of school. There was just too much anxious anticipation for me to rest. There was one thing I always enjoyed about the start of the school year when I was younger though. Before the start of each school year, I'd always get a brand new box of crayons for the school year. And as I look over the roster of this year's team, that's what I see. A brand new 27-pack of crayons.
Every box of crayons always had the old stand-bys like the red crayon and the blue. They were the ones that had been their in the past for you. You could always count on them, and you knew you'd have count on them a lot over the year. There was the white crayon, which you knew you'd probably never use, but just in case the need arose, it was nice to know it was ready and waiting in the wings. And every year in the giant box of crayons, there were always a couple new colors. There seem to be a lot of new colors this year. And it was always exciting to get them out of the box and see what they had to contribute.
They always looked so pretty on that first day. Of course, it was only a matter of time before they became worn down by the grind of the school year. They became chipped, the paper wrappers peeled off, some were even broken. But in the end, you had always had something great to look back on.
And that's where we are. Nervously waiting with a fresh box of crayons and 36 clean sheets in front of us with a dream that at the end, we'll have a masterpiece.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home