Mavericks Sweep Bowling Green
Minnesota State opened up the season with a pair of wins over Bowling Green this weekend in Mankato. It wasn't the most exciting weekend of hockey, but the Mavs did what they needed to do and took both games. Bowling Green was picked to finish dead last in the CCHA this year, and didn't present much of a challenge, but nonetheless it's nice to see the Mavericks off on the right foot. Some notes from the games:
This weekend featured both goaltenders contending for the starting job. On Friday Austin Lee, and freshman Kevin Murdock got the start on Saturday. I won't beat around the bush on this one, I think Murdock is our guy. What he lacks in size, he makes up with his speed and agility. He was rarely out of position, and looked poised in his first ever college game. Nothing against the way Austin Lee played either, and I'm sure there's a role on the team for him this year. Lee did a fine job of stopping the puck on Friday, but looked a bit out of position at times. He certainly looks like a viable option as a backup or even to split time with Murdock. Overall I was more impressed with Murdock, and coupled with his solid numbers in the USHL leads me to believe that he's our starter. This could all change however, and this weekend really did very little to positively answer the question.
The forwards looked pretty good. In particular, I noticed Justin Jokinen, who looked to have improved from last year. Rylan Galiardi looked very strong, he's becoming a leader and will probably rack up some serious numbers this year. Tyler Pitlick looks physically ready for the WCHA already, but will need to learn some ins and outs, especially on the power-play. He's a big time player though, and I'm really looking forward to watching him develop. Kurt Davis didn't miss a beat this offseason, he looked good as usual, and I'm convinced he's our best player. Eriah Hayes also looks solid, I really like his size, and he's going to be a tough player to play against. Jared Stewart stood out as well. Overall lots of speed in the lineup. We'll be able to skate with anyone this year, and hopefully push the pace beyond our opponents comfort.
Looking forward to next weekend, and the first real test in Duluth. Both games will be televised on Charter. Go Mavs!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home